Tuesday 30 September 2008

300 miles down, 200 left to walk!

Well it's an update from Mark on the Camino, I get so excited when one pops into my inbox. I cannot quite believe that it's passing so quickly although I'm sure not for Mark at times.

Read on and find out what's happening now......

Thank you for you wonderful posts and kind words. The walk is going very well and I am coming up on the final third of the experience. There is a growing excitement amongst the Pilgrims as we enter this final stage. Right now I am in a small village called Valverde de la Virgen, just West of Leon. Leon is a very large city and there was a wonderful fiesta going on yesterday as I arrived and it went on into the evening. 

Saturday morning was the first time on the Camino that I just wanted to pack it in and go home. At times it is very trying and you get awfully tired of wearing the same clothes everyday and lugging this backpack everywhere you go. As my Mom always told me, "Get a good night´s sleep and it will be better in the morning." 

Sunday was a beautiful day for walking and just what I needed. My feet are fine, although I have several new blisters. No matter how prepared you are, the Camino gets you. It is hot during the day and very chilly at night. One man missed the curfew last night in Leon and could not get in until 6 a.m. this morning. He walked the streets of Leon all night freezing. We felt pretty bad for him this morning. I am sure he had a miserable day today. 

Tonight I am in a small, private refugio and there are only three of us staying here. We are just about to have dinner with this lovely couple who own the refugio and speak no English. Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment